Most people who turn to Paleo are trying to accomplish the following goals, or some combination of them:
• LOSE WEIGHT
• GAIN MUSCLE
• HAVE BETTER DIGESTION
• HAVE BEAUTIFUL SKIN
• HAVE LESS PAIN
• GO THROUGH LIFE WITH A CLEARER HEAD
• REVERSE DIABETES
• FEEL YOUNGER
• LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE LOWER BLOOD GLUCOSE HAVE MORE ENERGY
• GET OFF PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS
Paleo has helped thousands of people accomplish these goals and more. Following this ebook will help you succeed at having all those things once and for all. It sounds like an infomercial for the newest super-pharmaceutical or something, but this is no gimmick. Here’s why:
1. The Paleolithic diet is what we ate as we evolved over 2.5 million years. The 10,000 years we’ve been eating products of agriculture like grains, beans, refined sugar, seed oils, hazardous food additives, and dairy are a mere blip on the timeline of evolution. Most people are not very well equipped to deal with those new foods, as evidenced by the proliferation of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, chronic pain, poor athletic performance, mood disorders, digestive disorders, and unhealthy skin, among hundreds of other symptoms and diseases. We are what we eat.
2. Despite conventional wisdom, we are not supposed to eat grains, even those highly coveted whole grains. They contain harmful substances like gluten, certain lectins, and phytic acid, among others. They mess with our digestive systems, causing severe inflammatory responses. Phytic acid carries necessary minerals out of our bodies unabsorbed. And they can act like opioids (read: addictive drugs), creating fatigue, moodiness, and addictive behaviors.
3. Contrary to popular belief, dairy is not the only way to get calcium. Moreover, calcium is not the only way to grow bones. Almost everyone in the world—up to 85 percent of us—is lactose intolerant to some degree. We’re meant to stop eating dairy when we’re weaned from our mother’s teat.
4. Omega 6 fatty acids cause inflammation; omega 3s fight inflammation. The two should be eaten in balance. However, ubiquitous foods like corn oil, soy oil, safflower and sunflower oil, cottonseed oil, and other vegetable oils have a tremendous amount of omega 6s, and we’re not getting the required omega 3s to balance that out.
5. Sugar. Holy sugar. It makes you fat and diabetic. It promotes inflammation and lowers the immune system’s ability to do its job. It makes you crabby and hyper—sometimes at the same time. And you probably eat way more of it than you think.
6. Most of the foods above are low in nutrients—some more than others—relative to meat, seafood, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds. That means every time you put a piece of bread in your mouth instead of a Paleo food, you’re wasting an opportunity to get some much-needed nutrition.